Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Paper and print: A tale of a Malaysian girl’s personal pursuit of distant dreams (Part Two)

By: Samantha Chow (M/6366)

In the first part of this short musing, I wrote about what led me to love books as much as I do now. A little disclaimer before I continue: I guess it would be wrong to say that I ‘love reading’ as I am choosy with my selections; I almost only read fiction novels and the occasional travel or goggle at little colourful gastronomically-delighting cookbooks. I never claimed to love reading thick serious historical texts, preferring to a ‘live reading’ (storytelling) by history enthusiasts like my dad. However I found out that one can always read fiction novels with historic themes such as Judith Kerr’s Jewish childhood narration ‘When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit’ or Reina James’ ‘The Time of Dying’ about the horrific influenza epidemic in 1918 London. Books that have won awards or were nominated are usually quickly recognised and automatically picked up to flip through.

But I digress. As promised, I will now share with you several methods of getting good reads for cheaper or even free!




1. Warehouse or clearance sales
BookXcess (http://bookxcessblog.com/) at Amcorp Mall is a favourite store of mine for selling really discounted books of all genres, ranging from fiction to biographies to children’s books. Occasionally they hold their infamous Big Bad Book Sales and I always emerge from them a happy and satisfied girl holding plastic bagsful (I know, next time I’ll bring environmentally-friendly carryalls) of fiction books from RM8 each on average! If you had ever attended one of those, you probably did not miss seeing some people bringing huge empty boxes which they fill to the brim with books (to sell, give away or they just have a voluminous appetite, I don’t know!) .

2. Your school or college library
Yes, they are a very good source of non-academic books as well! Though admittedly the number of those kinds of books might differ due to location, I myself have found many new books to enjoy and am using up my library quota of five books at a time. Though, I blush at admitting that they are almost never textbooks or any from the list of ‘reference books’ for my course subjects. I’ve tried borrowing them to ‘refer’ when writing my course papers, but when I’d finally force myself to admit that they are no use to me (and besides they rack up quite a bit of library late fees when I stubbornly refuse to return them in case I might need them one day), I happily put down those thick boring books and spend most of my time in the library at the fiction novels section.

Now, you must also know the reason that I don’t have to borrow thick textbooks is also due to the fact that the Communications course that I’m taking do not require much textbooks-referring like law and such. Therefore please do not tell your lecturers that I said not to borrow academic books but only read fiction novels, because I did not!

I know that this option is only applicable for school-going or college students, but fret not if you are not one as option number 3 is open to everybody.

3. Public libraries
Check out your nearest state or national library from www.pnm.my! Most of them just require you to register once with your MyKad or just pay a minimal fee to utilise their service. I went to the National Library about 5 years ago and what I remembered about the place was the gloom and lack of people. However I went to the Butterworth state library last month to find it filled to the brim that I could barely find a seat! Also I was pleasantly surprised to find that all of the people there were very well-mannered and quiet, just what a library should be.

I’m embarrassed to admit that nowadays public libraries have much better facilities and books than I expected, and although I don’t frequent public libraries much right now, I think that I would once I am done with all the books in my university’s library!

Of course I won’t expect all public libraries to be filled with only with new books due to lack of funds but it’s certainly a big step from what I saw 5 years ago!

4. Books-exchanging
Exchange books with your friends! Or sister, in my case.

Though admittedly it is quite difficult to borrow books as it is easily damaged if not taken care of very properly (and let’s face it, most of us would not take the effort to do that for someone else’s property) so I’d advise you to either lend them the less precious ones, or if they insist, then wrap the book with a clear plastic cover which definitely protects the book from scratches or torn covers.

What I do is by only lending books to close friends whom I trust and see often, and not the really expensive ones. I keep books that are considered ‘too precious’ on my private bookcase to avoid it getting lost when borrowed to others.

5. Second-hand book stores
Personally I don’t mind getting tattered second-hand books for prices like RM5, if it means something new to devour such as when on long holiday beach trips or even while waiting for the bus. It would be something which you wouldn’t mind bringing everywhere and not having to be really careful with the nice cover.

Anyway, dog-eared yellow pages makes reading a classic a more symbolic feeling, doesn’t it? And besides, you don’t have to worry about creasing the edges or turning the pages a little too hard.

*

With this list of options to get cheaper or free books, one should really be embarrassed to give any excuses of not increasing your reading list. So please stop doing what is it you do to waste time (on TV, the Net or even work!) and pick up a book. Slow and steady wins the race; make a list of the books you’ve read and you’ll be surprised to see how much (or little) that you actually read in a specific period of time.

Now go and let me finish my second novel of the week in peace.

1 comment:

Please leave your email so that I can get back to you.